16.12.09

My Visit to Zurich University Botanical Garden, Switzerland

As a student of plant science, I have always an urge to visit some botanical gardens and resource centers related with plant science. I am doing some research work at WSL, (12 km far from Zurich) and in the weekend my friend Therese invited me and managed a trip to visit Zurich University Botanical Garden. While we left from Zurich the weather was cold and snowing.

I came to know that formerly this botanical garden was a private garden and now maintained as a university botanical garden since 1976. There are no systematic beds like in our garden in Nepal (Botanical Garden, Godavary, Kathmandu) but most of the plants cultivated are wild species inside and  outside the green houses. Here, in this note I am sharing few interested pictures and information and my memories, hope will be interesting to you all my blog readers.


Open Hours_ Zurich University Botanical Garden


Bubbles like Tropical Green Houses


Beautiful Aquarium


Beautiful Flower _ Normally I have seen only in white color in Nepal


Chamaedora tapejiote


Dendrobium spectablle _ Beautiful Orchid with strange ornamentation


Heteropteris chrysophylla - Beautifula and large sized orchid inside green house


Massonia pustulata


Musella lasiocarpa


Porlieria hygrometra - it is brought from Peru


Rafflesia _ Bigger flower of the plants - from South Africa



Hanging orchid: Stanhopea graveolens



Tillandsia cyanea


Myself with the joy inside the Botanical Garden ( Dec 12, 2009 Saturday)


"Myself with Therese Keel Kunz _ On the way to Botanical Garden
Thank you Dear Therese for your special arrangement and precious time"

1 comment: